The Early Childhood Division is made up of 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old, and 5 year old kindergarten. Children at St. Luke’s begin their educational journey in a nurturing, playful environment under the guidance of caring and committed teachers. During these early years children are forming lasting impressions of school and of themselves as learners. We believe that a positive early childhood experience is vital to future academic success. We provide this experience through a supportive environment in which each child can take on new challenges and experience success.
Our latest addition: St. Luke’s now offers a 2 year old program!
At age 2 cognitive skills are expanding rapidly. Teachers will provide “hands-on” activities to encourage:
- Identification of shapes
- Identification of colors
- Recognition of Numbers 0-9
Thematic Units of Study include:
- All About ME!
- Farm Animals
- Dr. Seuss
- Speech and language development
- Zoo Animals
- Under the Sea
- Community Helpers
3 Year Old – 5 Year Old Kindergarten
Our academic skills are introduced and reinforced through learning games and unit activities involving reading, numbers, social studies, and science. A hands-on approach is used in Math and Science as children move from the concrete to the abstract. We believe that young children learn best when they are actively engaged in meaningful experiences.
Although St. Luke’s Early Childhood Division is a “structured” school day, there is also daily time allocated for free play, learning centers, creative art work, and storytelling. Children are given opportunities each day for listening, speaking, drawing, painting, and imaginative play. We strive to develop happy, secure, well-adjusted children who are excited about learning and able to interact appropriately with their peers and adults.
The St. Luke’s Early Childhood curriculum is enhanced by classes in Music, Art, Spanish, and our Outdoor Science Center. We also provide a multi-media, resource rich environment with I-Pad technology and visits to the Computer Lab. Students in St. Luke’s Early Childhood Division visit the Library every week where they listen to a story, look at books, and even have the opportunity to sing and dance! Children attend Physical Education class at least twice each week and enjoy time on one of our playgrounds every day during recess and free play time.
An inside look:
- Outstanding, caring teachers
- Proven curriculum offering a solid foundation
- 3 and 5 day programs for 2 and 3 year olds
- Half day and full day classes offered
- Small class size
- Attention placed on fine motor skill development
- Daily outdoor play time
- Small-group center activities
- Experiential learning using manipulates
- Whole-group activities/projects
- Group and individual counseling services available
- Extended day program available
- Infirmary staffed by full time registered nurse
- Program includes Music, Art, Physical Education, and Library
- Computer classes for K5
- Opportunities for parent involvement